Subject: Re: copyright questions
To: Jim Wise <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1997 19:24:45
[[ well-deserved applause for Jason from  both Jonathan and Jim snipped]]

>               I think it's important to make
>clear that although I do not think the decisions that were made were in
>the best interests of the Project, _no_one_ feels that Jason, Chris, or
>anyone else are trying ot work against NetBSD,

I think you will find that Knaack has argued that Chris _is_ trying to
work against NetBSD, and in so many words.

> and if anything, this
>dispute has merely hilighted how much we need a central location/forum
>for licensing issues.

Yes, perhaps we do.  I think a more appropriate place is a list for
distributors of NetBSD, since this license change does not affect
users who aren't also distributors at all, as far as I can see.

And one more time: what would you do if someone mentions in their
promomtional material ``features'' which are clearly derived from
*your* modified-BSD-license code, but which does *not* acknowledge you
by name?  What if your attorney says that the existing license is
ambiguous and may be exceedingly hard to enforce in the (hypothetical)
case at hand?

Any discussion of license issues __has__ to take this scenario into
account, or it's simply not addressing the points at hand.