Subject: Re: copyright questions
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jim Wise <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1997 19:38:30
On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> It appears that OpenBSD exists for only one reason: "destroy
> NetBSD". Well, under those circumstances, you can't expect things to
> operate much differently than they have.

I'm no fan of Theo, or OpenBSD in general, but please -- let's not cut
off our nose to spite our face.  No one is arguing that there have been
violations _of_Chris's_old_copyright_ by the OpenBSD group, which should
be pursued.  I fail to see how this makes it appropriate to abandon the
ideals of the Project, and endanger our relations with other developers
who would use NetBSD in the future.

As has already been pointed out, the fact that Chris reserves the right
to grant waivers of the credit requirements is simply not useful.  Once
a hundred or so people have licenses of the CSL (his term) variety in
the tree, it will simply not be feasible to contact all of them, whether
they are willing or not.

				Jim Wise
				jim.wise@turner.com