Subject: Re: copyright questions
To: Phil Knaack <flipk@idea.exnet.iastate.edu>
From: David Greenman <dg@root.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1997 15:28:02
>and so does Linux.  This copyright scares the willies out of me, and
>I'm not even a developer.  Just imagine what other systems might be
>thinking.  FreeBSD and OpenBSD have probably resolved to never
>integrate code from you ever again.  Good luck, you've totally ruined
>any chance of relations with either of them for all time.

   OpenBSD ruined relations with Chris by it's mere existence. The relations
between FreeBSD and Chris are just fine at the moment, however. It does look
like we would have to get a waiver for some of Chris's licensing requirements,
however, before a "FreeBSD/Alpha" could be distributed on CDROM. While we
have no problems crediting people when it's convenient to do so, putting the
list of contributors on the outside of the CDROM jacket and in all FreeBSD
advertising isn't convenient (or even possible in most cases). Of course, it's
not a *requirement* that we use Chris's work in a FreeBSD/Alpha port; I'm
sure we can find the resources to do the work entirely independantly if
necessary, but of course this isn't desired.
   What I personally would rather have seen Chris do is simply a Berkeley-style
copyright with an additional clause: "This software may not be used in any
form in 'OpenBSD' or any other product of Theo de Raadt", since this is
clearly Chris's real intention.

-DG

David Greenman