Subject: installboot
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1997 22:25:03
This is on an i386. I am trying to get a scsi hard disk to be
bootable, and thought
./installboot biosboot.sym /dev/rsd0c
might be the way to go, but I am told
installboot: usd partition 'a'!

As a change from copyright matters, would someone care to give me a
lesson on hard disks? eg. Where do the master boot record, os-bs,
biosboot.sym and the disklabel come in? Is the scenario:

os-bs runs, says use NetBSD partition 'a' to boot. If 'a' is seen by
the bios, the disklabel is written on it else it is written at the
beginning of the disk (after MBR?) Should the bootblocks really be on
'a'? Then I suppose they are read and execute 'boot'...

Cheers,

  Patrick