Subject: Re: copyright questions
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1997 12:26:15
On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> Really, (a) NetBSD should be maintaining a public list of contributors
> (i.e. people who've donated code) to the project...
> As far as I know, NetBSD...doesn't do (a) well at all.  I think the latter
> is particularly unfortunate, because it means that the project is giving
> people who've actually contributed (i.e. signed over) code the shaft.

Well, only if they feel they're getting the shaft. :-) While I find
it somewhat pleasing to have my name on a contributors list, it
doesn't bother me partcularly if it's missed. And I'll happy donate
all the code I've put in the tree to the NetBSD project, if it's
made easy for me to do. (E.g., I can just sign and send in a sheet
of paper that says "anything I commit to the tree is yours.")

On the other hand, I'm not exactly a large contributor to NetBSD,
which is perhaps why it's a bigger deal to others who have contributed
a hundred or more times the amount of code I have.

> I intend to donate a large fraction of the software in NetBSD holding
> my copyright to The NetBSD Foundation, as soon as it actively starts
> crediting people who donate software to the project.

Well, there's the solution then. Instead of complaining on the
list, anyone who wants to see Chris' licence disappear can just
get the crediting straightened out and take care of some assignment
paperwork, and the problem is solved. An added bonus would be that
the person who did this would probably have the eternal gratitude
of Jason and J.T. and whomever else is currently dealing with this
administriva.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'