Subject: Re: mdsetimage vs rdsetroot
To: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1997 09:20:20
> On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>
> >  > >   The sun3 port has distrib/sun3/common/rdsetroot.c, while the main
> >  > > tree has usr.sbin/mdsetimage.
> >  >
> >  > They are functionally equivalent.  The former just hasn't been renamed.
> >
> > ...for some definition thereof... rdsetroot should be deprecated.
> > mdsetimage includes support for more executable formats.
>
> I should have been more detailed in my answer.  ``rdsetroot.c'' is a
> utility for setting the RAM Disk image in a sun3 RAMDISK kernel.  It is
> not used to configure a /dev/mdXX device.

mdsetimage does the same thing, but supports more kernel executable
formats.

sun3's aren't the only systems which support ram disks in their
kernels.  When I wanted to built-in ram disk functionality work in
NetBSD/alpha, I found it easier to rewrite rdsetroot from scratch than
to restructure it to support multiple object formats.

The program to configure an /dev/mdXX device is mdconfig.

cgd