Subject: Re: copyright questions
To: Phil Knaack <flipk@idea.exnet.iastate.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/1997 13:59:51
> 	I have not written as much code (or as important!), but of the
> code that I do write -- I have nothing against people using my code, and
> I want it to be easy for them to use.  I don't want to make them
> "jump through hoops" to use it.

Perhaps you didn't notice, but putting a standard berkeley copyright
on a piece of code _already_ requires a few hoops.  I just made them a
bit better defined, and required credit in a few more cases.

If you want "no hoops," you really have to put your code in the public
domain (or put a license on your code that ends up being so
unenforceable that it might as well be in the public domain).

I'm actually _in_ the position right now of wanting to figure out 'the
right set of things' to put in documentation.  It's not very much fun.
In some way, I _really_ wish The NetBSD Project and/or The NetBSD
Foundation required contributions of software, for that software to go
in the tree.  That would certainly make vendors' lives easier.

chris