Subject: Re: Flakiness in build
To: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 06/11/1997 16:39:20
According to Rick Byers:

>Hmm... It's too bad it's not more common.  It's hard to verify when it's
>working and when it's not.  I started a little test program that just
>allocates 40Mb, fills it with a known sequence, and then checks it.  So
>far, it hasn't failed.

Hmmmm you are a bit vague on the "known sequence" bit.  I would
recommend that you try a few different patterns - 0xaaaa, 0x5555, then
some "walking ones", then some random data and check it after a sleep.

There are some dram problems that will not show up with some data
patterns but others will pick them up.  There are all sorts of nasty
effects like memory bus capacitance that can make a fixed data pattern
test pass even when the memory is stuffed.

Brett"who has coded more memory tests than he cares to remember"Lymn

  What do you get when you cross a cantaloup with a dog?        Melancholy :-P