Subject: Re: File names and security...
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Jim Wise <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/1997 07:05:27
On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Ted Lemon wrote:

> > if it is added, file systems you are importing may not disallow it even
> > though your local systems do.  net effect: you won't be able to access
> > bizarrely named files on the the nfs filesystems if it's a system wide
> > variable.  in which case, filesystems by filesystem seems to be the
> > way to go...
>
> Dunno.   I agree that this is a problem, but do we *really* care?

Certainly.  I'm sure I'm not the only one here in a heterogeneous
environmont, stuck mounting file systems between NetBSD and other
systems.  The great advantage of NFS is transparency between different
systems' views of the same file system.  (In an environment where PC and
Mac clients are sharing drives with Unix clients, strange characters in
file names occur more often than you might think...)

--
				Jim Wise
				jim.wise@turner.com