Subject: Re: Links and Security
To: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
From: eric richard haszlakiewicz <haszlaki@students.uiuc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/1997 00:39:44
> Nope.  A hard link is just another directory entry to an allready existing
	yep.
> Maybe, but there are still problems elsewhere.  Try it out.  From your
> home directory, do:
> ln /some/other/guys/file newfile
> you now have a file in your directory that someone else owns, and they
> don't know about, and they can't delete it!  It doesn't seem right to me
> to ever be able to create a directory entry under a different user than
> who you are.
	yikes.  I kinda assumed that that wouldn't work with hard links.
Guess it does.  Since we're talking about hard links you argument seems
a bit better than mine. :)   Wow, with the current action if there was a
publicly writable directory somewhere on a partition anyone could create
some major havoc. :(  I wonder if there are any cases where this behavior
would be useful.

eric