Subject: Re: Style guide
To: Jim Wise <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/07/1997 21:55:02
[ On Wed, June 4, 1997 at 16:57:05 (-0400), Jim Wise wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Style guide
>
> It's not clear that there _is_ a good solution to the character argument
> passing problem -- are you suggesting that changing every function which
> takes a char to take some other data type will be _less_ intrusive?

I'm not (yet) sure what Mike was thinking w.r.t. this, but I'm saying
yes, this is true.  Such functions are few and far between and fixing
these few things to maintain K&R compatability is not difficult at all.

> All of this would be worth pursuing if there was any clear benefit from
> keeping K&R compatibility.  As no one has pointed to _any_ system with a
> K&R compiler and no ANSI compiler, and since I find it hard to believe
> any new platform will ship without ANSI C, it is by no means clear to me
> that there is any benefit from this sort of hack.

My sun3 & sun4 systems have K&R compilers and no ansi compilers.  Yes,
they could have acc or gcc installed, but I have no intention of doing
so, and no ability to do so due to circumstances in some cases.

BTW, most new platforms ship without any compiler.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>