Subject: Re: File names and security...
To: None <seebs@solon.com>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/07/1997 13:22:02
>Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 16:07:46 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
>
>While I agree that there are silly cases, the original one that prompted
>this was newline, because I do *NOT* like the idea that
>	find . [options] -print | xargs
>can run commands on files find didn't find.
>
>Yes, -print0/xargs -0 fixes this, but I'm not sure I wouldn't be
>happier just eliminating certain clases of problematic names.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to clutter up the kernel when a
userland solution (find -print0/xargs -0) can solve the problem.

>Likewise, I wouldn't miss characters I can't type at all, and I wouldn't
>miss spaces very much.

As has been noted elsewhere, just because you can't type them yourself
doesn't mean that others can't.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel