Subject: Re: An idea to simplify future updates of (some) /etc files for new releases
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/1997 09:55:27
On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Ted Lemon wrote:

> IMHO, rc.conf is a local file.  It shouldn't even be included in the
> distribution - instead, there should be a sample file.

Right. So perhaps we need rc.conf.sample or rc.conf.template or
something like that, and then it's easy to diff against it, or diff
the old and the new, when you upgrade, too.

> As far as documenting what can be configured by rc.conf, why not have
> a man page for it?

You mean like what `man rc.conf' produces? :-)

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'