Subject: Release Engineering [was Re: make kernel question]
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 06/03/1997 16:09:17
Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> writes:

>Jonathan Stone writes:
> But that's just an invitation to kick out a `1.3' release earlier:
>> declare a code freezeimmediately before the bus-dma changes go in,
>> start a `release cycle', and then kick out a 1.2E-ish `1.3' in about
>> two months.

>I think there is some movement afoot to do a release in the next
>couple of months, but I think the current notion is that bus_dma will
>be in it, not out of it.

Either is fine with me.

Subjectively, I think -current is pretty stable _today_, and bus-dma
needs more beta testing. So a release beginning before folding in the
bus-dma code would get out `sooner' than a release with bus-dma it.
(Especially if you want bus-dma'ed versions of drivers that Jason
hasn't yet reworked).

I know I'd sooner have a release with bus-dma; if we wait till it's
shaken out and working _everywhere_ (e.g. those pesky DEC machines
with ioasic-based DMA), then we're looking at this-yearish, not 1-2
months.