Subject: Re: make kernel question
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 06/03/1997 13:15:44
On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> > i thought: build kernel and then build binaries
>
> Actually, if you want to upgrade from sources, you have to do it the
> other way around, since you need a new userland to build a new kernel
> successfully.

Eeek!  You shouldn't run new binaries on an old kernel.  It probably won't
even work, at this point.  Unless it's difficult to run with a GENERIC
kernel from a snapshot, though, I'd recommend upgrading the entire system
with a snapshot -- certainly anything newer than the beginning of March
should work -- and then building -current kernels and userland from there.

--scott