Subject: Re: Build System Changes Backed Out
To: Greg Hudson <ghudson@mit.edu>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/31/1997 16:51:42
> I have to apologize for not speaking up sooner, but I'm not entirely
> sure I agree.  The advantage of the build system changes seemed to be
> that you could build against include files and libraries in the build
> tree, but you can already build against include files and libraries in
> an install directory, so I don't see what the great added value is.

The great value added is that you don't need to be root, and you don't
need to do an install in order to do a build.   This is really a big
deal - it's utterly bogus that you have to be root to do a build, for
a wide variety of reasons, of which Curt has touched on only a few.
Curt's changes cost me about an hour on Wednesday, and it was an hour
I was glad to sacrifice.

			       _MelloN_