Subject: Re: Style guide
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/28/1997 18:09:00

> > > Why `must' there be?
> >
> > Certainly, initial development of some ports (e.g. NetBSD/alpha) was
> > done with the native (non-gcc) compiler...
>
> Digital Unix will run GCC just fine, so this was obviously a conscious
> choice you made.

Actually, at the time, Digital UNIX (then OSF/1) didn't run gcc very
well at all.  (It could run, but there were ... a lot of bugs.)

If i had to wait until gcc worked well on the alpha (where "well" is
defined as "as well as the native compiler"), many would say that I'd
still be waiting.

At the time, for the initial bootstrap, there _was_ no real choice.

cgd