Subject: Re: Style guide
To: Greg Hudson <ghudson@mit.edu>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/28/1997 11:34:24
> > We can add to our local style rules that a function may never take a
> > char, a float or any type that is promotable.
> So what do I do if I want to make a function which takes a uid_t, or a
> mode_t, or an off_t?  Hope that they're not promotable types?

Given that it is desired to have the same library functions support both
K&R source and ANSI source, and given the K&R promotion rules, I think the
answer is "file a CR if they *aren't* promotable types, and bemoan the fact
that mode_t, in fact, IS a promotable type."  Oops.

(Well, you can always take a pointer to a mode_t... ;-)