Subject: Re: Style guide
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/28/1997 09:04:00
Thus spake John Nemeth
>      I typically use K&R C, since it is more portable.  There are
> still many machines without ANSI compilers which will probably never
> be upgraded.  I have a uVAX 3000 running ULTRIX 4.1 for example.  This
> machine probably won't get upgrade any time soon unless NetBSD can
> support it reliably.  I've tried to put gcc on it, but the compile
> failed, and I don't have time to try to fix it.

I had to deal with this a few years back when I had to support a Minix
system.  What I did was add some rules to Gnu Make (an include Makefile
would have been just as good) which took my ANSI code that I wrote
and tested with gcc, and created .m files which were files with K&R
C code suitable for compiling on Minix.  Thus I was able to develop
and, compile and test on my gcc system in the environment I was used
to and just spit out the files needed by the Minix compiler when I
was done.  Deansification does not have to be a major operation.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain                           |  Democracy is three wolves
darcy@{druid.net|vex.net}                  |  and a sheep voting on