Subject: Re: Style guide
To: <>
From: Jim Wise <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/27/1997 23:46:39
As yet, no one has pointed out an instance of:

	a.) current practice which would be disrupted by an orderly
	    transition to ANSI style function definitions.

	b.) a machine which has both no ANSI compiler available and
	    a usable (for our purposes) K&R compiler.

Whereas, on the contrary, Peter Seebach has shown up at least one instance
where our code is _not_correct_ on a K&R compiler, and others have pointed
to our kernel (at least) depending on gcc, which is ANSI.  Several others
have pointed out that they at least are kept from submitting changes to the
system by the need to back-port code written to ANSI for unused, and we now
see, _unusable_ K&R compatibility.

 As such, I can see no good argument against ANSIfication at as quick a
rate as is convenient, beginning with new submissions.  As one of many
people here working from a -current source tree, I at elast would be
willing to dive depth-first into the ANSIfication of /usr/src as early
as tommorow.  I think it is clear that we will be better off in the
long run.

--
				Jim Wise
				jim.wise@turner.com