Subject: Re: Too Many Open Files
To: None <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/27/1997 20:22:08
>Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 13:19:57 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
>
>On Tue, 27 May 1997, Dave Sainty wrote:
>
>> Could be you're hitting FD_SETSIZE?  See /usr/include/sys/types.h.
>>
>> This has to be limited by the software though, it isn't a system
>> error to exceed FD_SETSIZE....
>
>Hi Dave, thanks but I don't think I've got that many open (256).  I just
>checked some servers now and they are using about 45 file descriptors
>each.  I'm expecting the limit is 64 - which is what OPEN_MAX is defined
>to.

Note that the number to worry about isn't the number of files that are
open now, but the greatest file descriptor used.  It doesn't matter if
you have only one file open, if that file's descriptor is
FD_SETSIZE+1.

If Apache gives you the option of using poll(), you should use it.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel