Subject: Re: make runs out of memory in libc... Is there a good fix?
To: None <seebs@solon.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/27/1997 11:06:19
> Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 10:30:02 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>

> This actually only happens on my sun3.  I can ulimit -d unlimited,
> and all is well, but this isn't really ideal, IMHO.  Is there a
> way we could break libc down a bit, internally at least, so this
> doesn't happen?  Or is there a way to make make(1) be more memory
> efficient?

Don't worry about it.  I've already bumped-up the DFLDSIZ value
in vmparam.h which allows make to build libc without problems.

The new default maxdatasize will be 16MB.

#define	DFLDSIZ		(16*1024*1024)		/* initial data size limit */

The build of libc needs somewhere between 8 and 12 MB of data.

Gordon