Subject: Re: Style guide
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, darcy@druid.net>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/27/1997 09:54:24
No complaints from me on eliminating the "support" for pre-ANSI
compilers.  We don't support them, we haven't supported them in
quite a while, and the chances are very bad that any pre-ANSI compiler
could really make more than a tiny fragment of this code work.
(If nothing else, can *ANYONE* name a pre-ANSI compiler with
long long?)

Any new NetBSD port is likely to make more use of gcc and
cross-compiling than it is to use a native compiler, no?
And any counterexample that comes up is more than likely to have an
ANSI-capable compiler as the native one by now...

Eliminating the old pre-ANSI hacks would be a monumental effort, but
not using them any more, and accepting patches that remove them when
convenient, would be a good way to improve the source tree, IMHO.

-s