Subject: Re: ncr driver working well with 53c875?
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/26/1997 21:45:54
I have run both a DC-390U (ultra) and a DC-390F (ultra wide) under FreeBSD
without any real problems.  The U isn't wide, but still uses the 875
chipset.

Note that the Tekram's BIOS doesn't like disks partitioned using FreeBSD's
dedicated mode and will hang on boot if it sees one.

The only problem I had was when attaching a wide drive to the narrow
controller (390U) , the code kept thinking it could talk over a wide bus
(the chip on the contoller is a 875, which is wide, the drive is wide, but
the connection is narrow) and blew up horribly.  To work around this I
just used the appropriate define to force the NCR driver to only talk
narrow.