Subject: Re: ncr driver working well with 53c875?
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@Glue.umd.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/26/1997 20:58:12
On Mon, 26 May 1997, Dave Huang wrote:

> Hi, I was thinking of getting some sort of 53c875 based card, probably
> either an Asus SC875 or Tekram DC390F, and I wanted to make sure that the
> ncr driver works well with it. I'm running NetBSD, but since it uses the
> FreeBSD driver, everything should be the same :) I'll be running a 2gig
> Wide Quantum Atlas and a 4gig Wide Atlas off the card...
>
> Any recommendation on whether I should get the Asus or the Tekram? I
> notice the driver has some code to read the Tekram's EPROM; what does that
> do? :)

I have a Tekram DC390F here on a Tyan PPro 200 motherboard with an
IBM Ultrastar 2ES and have no complaints under 2.2 release or Win95,
drop me some personal email if you (or anybody) has any specific questions.
I do believe I have seen the ASUS for about $20 cheaper but I was VERY
happy with the service from http://www.cmpexpress.com where I found
the Tekram DC390F for $164.  Should you decide to go the ASUS route
the cheapest I found was http://www.rcsystems.com where the SC875 goes
for $145.  Either way these seem like much better deals than the Adaptec
controllers.  Please let me know if you find these cheaper elsewhere.

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@Glue.umd.edu
My home page