Subject: Re: How to make a server?
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Dave Sainty <David.Sainty@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: current-users
Date: 05/26/1997 16:05:56
Ted Lemon writes:

> Wow, that sounds a *lot* like a program I wrote called modemd...   See
> ftp://ftp.vix.com/pub/modemd if you're curious.

Heh, cool!

A modemcap is a nice idea.  I put the modem config info in the config
file that holds everything, but a modemcap would have made the work of
configuring it a little cleaner...

My modemd was designed primarilly for outgoing connections, yours
seems more for incoming...

Mine is also a tty lock replacement system, to get away from the
horrible UUCP file based system, and multiple utilities can use the
same tty, for example if the lock is a ppp connection to the same
location.  An example output of "modemstat":

victoria     www              Mon May 26 15:25:32 release in 255 seconds
victoria     www              Mon May 26 15:25:08 release in 140 seconds
victoria     rlogin:dave      Mon May 26 15:09:22 active
victoria     rlogin:dave      Mon May 26 12:45:19 active
active target: victoria (4 net locks)

I guess modemd is such an obvious name.  Maybe I should rename mine to
"Modem Explorer Pro". :) :)

Dave.