Subject: Re: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
To: David Jones <dej@inode.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 05/25/1997 09:07:07
On Sun, 25 May 1997 09:32:41 -0400 (EDT)
 David Jones <dej@inode.org> wrote:

 > It also makes it hard to maintain packages.  How many times have we imported
 > IPfilter, and then made our NetBSD-specific cosmetic changes?

...in several cases, these "cosmetic" changes are required for a piece
of software to even have a chance of functioning on e.g. the Alpha.

 > If I had to start all over, and I had only PC hardware, I'd probably install
 > FreeBSD too, since it is more user-friendly, and the kernel code is closer to
 > the original 4.4BSD sources.  But I have an Amiga and a Sparc, so it's either
 > NetBSD or Linux.  Easy choice. :-)

...I don't understand how being closer to the original 4.4BSD sources
is necessarily a good thing.  4.4BSD is now old technology, no longer
being developed, really.  We develop our operating system, NetBSD, because
we find ways of improving things, etc.  Sometimes that means making the
code look a fair bit different than the original base code.  I don't see
why that's a bad thing... that's why we're in this game, right?