Subject: Re: /var/mail permissions...
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 05/24/1997 20:40:10
On Sat, 24 May 1997, Patrick Welche wrote:

> "Exim makes use of the fcntl() system call when locking files."
> [...]
> "Others who know more about these things and I [Dr Hazel] do support
> the view that, as flock() is obsolescent," (...there will be no support
> for linux dbm functions that use flock()...)"

That's fine. flock() and fcntl() use the same underlying lock system
in the kernel, so each will honour the other's locks.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'