Subject: Re: Documentation/languages...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: J.T. Conklin <jtc@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 05/18/1997 11:44:08
> What man page section would language docs go in?  I would like to
> see NetBSD be one of the world's only conforming C implementations.
> To do that, we would need to document *every* instance of
> "implementation-defined behavior" in the standard.  This is actually
> not very hard, but where would this documentation go?

There is a similar requirement is for POSIX, the POSIX Conformance
Draft or PCD.  How about man0?

> Also, does anyone object to C9X alignment when the C9X draft comes
> out?  Since NetBSD is one of the systems being used to show that
> strsep() is a good thing, I'd like to migrate it towards being a
> good C9X implementation.  (The gcc people are working on this
> already.)

I have no problems with supporting c9x; although we also need to
maintain support for c89 and even k&r C so users will be able to
compile existing third-party software.  Some c9x features, like
<inttypes.h> would be useful now.  When will the first public draft be
available?

> Anyway, feedback appreciated.  I would be happy to attempt to document
> the implementation defined behavior of our implementation, although
> I'll probably need some help on anything platform-dependant.

Aside from signed/unsigned chars, I hope that all netbsd ports'
operate pretty much the same.  I'd say that is one of the advantages
of a single source OS, and something we shouldn't violate lightly.

	--jtc