Subject: Re: Panic: blkfree: freeing free frag
To: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 05/18/1997 12:27:38
On Sat, May 17, 1997 at 07:02:04PM -0400, Rick Byers wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions, but I can't easily duplicate the problem.  It
> just happened twice during a 1.1 gig copy (2500 users home directories).
> I'm just trying to decide if I should be concerned or not.  I've had a
> couple other hard drive related panics in the last few weeks.  I'm hoping
> that 1.2.1 will clear that up.  I'm thinking that it is more likely the
> drive or scsi card is acting up :(  Do you know if a failing drive would
> normally cause panics?  I would think it would just cause a lot of 'hard
> error reading ...'.

I am running 1.2 with some non-disk related patches on many large systems
and I have never had that kind of disk or fs problems.  Not even when moving
around big chunks of files, not on the news server with 16 GB if disks and
over 23000 groups flowing in.  I would check the hardware first if I were
you... :)

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 22:30 EET DST Mon-Fri