Subject: Re: Panic: blkfree: freeing free frag
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 05/17/1997 19:14:00
On Sat, 17 May 1997, David Brownlee wrote:

> > Thanks for the suggestions, but I can't easily duplicate the problem.  It
> > just happened twice during a 1.1 gig copy (2500 users home directories).
> > I'm just trying to decide if I should be concerned or not.  I've had a
> > couple other hard drive related panics in the last few weeks.  I'm hoping
> > that 1.2.1 will clear that up.  I'm thinking that it is more likely the
> > drive or scsi card is acting up :(  Do you know if a failing drive would
> > normally cause panics?  I would think it would just cause a lot of 'hard
> > error reading ...'.
> >
> 	A failing drive would probably give different errors...
> 	Whenever you have any problems with a SCSI system its always worth
> 	double checking the termination and connectors, though it would
> 	seem more likely to be a software problem in this case.
> 	What SCSI controller are you using?

I'm using a NCR 53c810 PCI card, it's been pretty good up to know.  I've
been considering swapping it for an adaptec 2940 though, see if that
changes anything.  I'm almost done installing 1.2.1, so I'll just see if
problems persist.  If they do, maybe I'll try the adaptec.

Thanks, I'm glad to here you agree that it doesn't sound like a failing
drive.  I don't want to have to buy another 4 Gig again <grin>.
	Rick

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                System Admin, Tech Support
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/