Subject: Re: Weirdness with XDM
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 05/16/1997 14:37:01
According to David Brownlee:

>	What happens if you start emacs form a shell after unlimiting
>	datasize & friends?

Not sure, but the context in which emacs died did not point at it
hitting a limit.  I only had open an almost empty file and had been
browsing the help - not exactly pushing the envelope and certainly
nowhere near what I normally do in emacs.

BTW for all the people who were suggesting it may be a getty
interfering with X (a valid point!).  I don't think so in my case, I
am running the PCVT console with 4 consoles active, the X session
appears to be occupying the 5th screen.  Besides, why would that only
affect XDM?  I have only experienced these oddities using xdm - I use
X almost daily and have not had problems until using xdm..... very
odd.  I am considering compiling X myself just in case it is a library
thing.

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.