Subject: Weirdness with XDM
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 05/15/1997 15:18:52
Folks,
        I am using the precompiled XFree86-3.2 on a P100 running a
recent-ish current.  I use X heavily and until recently I just logged
in as myself and typed startx to get X going - this has worked fine
for ages.  I then got off my arse and did the miniscule amount of work
to get XDM configured & running.  After doing this I started having
problems with X - emacs did a sigsegv another time the display screwed
up (try and imagine about 1/8 of the normal screen filling the whole
display).  After these experiences I went back to just running startx
from the shell prompt without these problems happening.

Anyone got any ideas on what to try?  I did think of unlimiting the
xdm process but it doesn't make sense to me that I am running into
limits under xdm but not on the command line....

I was starting xdm from within rc.local FWIW.

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.