Subject: Re: Hardware flow control for tip...
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/12/1997 15:11:16
On Mon, 12 May 1997, Ted Lemon wrote:

> I specifically meant hf to be rts/cts hardware flow control.   I don't
> know what would be a good abbreviation for mdmbuf flow control.   Do
> people still use it?

I'm not sure, but the new, hopefuly-soon-to-be-released mac68k serial driver
will support both crtscts and cdtrcts. The problem is that Apple only gave
the ports one output pin, DTR, and we have to let it play either DTR or
RTS. Rather than have some extra bit to twiddle, we'll use two different
flow control modes to determine what the output does.

The idea is that crtscts will just support outbound flow control & use the
output to hang up the modem. crtsdts would use the output for inbound flow
control (asking the other side to hush).

I'm not sure what to say about the abreviation.

Take care,

Bill