Subject: Re: netatalk support
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/11/1997 15:16:34
On Thu, 8 May 1997, Scott Reynolds wrote:

> On Thu, 8 May 1997, William O Ferry wrote:
>
> >     I remember noticing a while ago that netatalk files had been added
> > in /src/sys, and verified that they're on my machine (sup'ed Monday).
> > Is this just the kernel support necessary to compile the regular
> > netatalk programs, or have they wound up in the /src tree too (if so,
> > where)?  Is the netatalk complete, or is there still more to do?
>
> With the changes made in the last week to if_llc.h, netatalk should work
> on all 32-bit architectures, at least.  The bits in the tree are only
> kernel support; you'll still need to get the userland daemons.  Go to
> ftp.fugue.com and follow your nose to the netatalk 1.4 beta that was
> modified for NetBSD, and ignore the kernel pieces... it should Just Work
> once you have it compiled and installed.

Sorry it took so long to comment.

Now that struct llc is working right, netatalk should be working.

There's a new version of the netatalk user code, on toccata
(ftp://toccata.fugue.com/pub/netbsd-ataalk/beta2.970511/).
This new beta includes a bug fix from Christos, and a compromise to get
netatalk to compile w/o /usr/include/netatalk/endian.h (as we already
always include endian support).

I recomend that everyone using the netatalk souce upgrade to beta2. The
two bug fixes in atalkd are important. There is also a patch kit which
just contais the changed files.

Take care,

Bill