Subject: Feeping creaturitis
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 05/07/1997 18:38:15
>>> [problems with ftp under emacs' ange-ftp]
>> How about checking if the stdin is a tty and defaulting to 'no
>> command line completion & no progress meter' if not?
> This seems to me like it would be a reasonable thing to do.  I can't
> think of why it would ever matter, but perhaps the commandline
> completion should be turned of if stdin isn't a tty, and the progress
> meter should be turned off if std*out* isn't a tty.

I still don't see why either one is in there.  Whatever happened to
"one task, one tool"?  The world already has one GNU Emacs; we don't
need another one, even if it's called ftp.  *Especially* when it's
called ftp.  (It's bad enough that gdb botches my line kill, though it
does get my suspend and EOF characters mostly (but not entirely) right
[susp ^P eof ^Z kill ^X].  Now ftp is walking down the same road of
good intentions....)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca