Subject: Re: weird link required, please help?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 05/04/1997 06:52:56
>> % ld -x -r foo1.o libfoo.a -o foo1a.o
>> % localsym -c foo1a.o _visible_symbol_1 _visible_symbol_2 ...
>> % ld -x -r foo1a.o foo1b.o

>> Then foo1b.o has only the listed symbols visible; everything else
>> was made local by localsym, then stripped by ld -x -r.

> Hey, nifty.  How would something like this interact with debuggers?

Depends.  localsym doesn't consider debugger symbol table entries
special in any way; I don't know whether the N_EXT bit matters on them.
If you don't have debugger symbol table entries, then the hidden
routines completely disappear as far as debuggers are concerned,
because there are no symbol-table references to them left after the
above.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca