Subject: Re: System clock resolution and random numbers
To: None <codewarrior@daemon.org>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/02/1997 10:50:05
Andrew Brown wrote:

> that, i believe, was in "cardinal of the kremlin" and they made the cds
> by sampling atmospheric noise and overlaying lots of samples.  then the
> encryption/decryption key (the cd was used as a otp) was simply an
> offset into the cd's data.  cute, eh?

Yup, that's what I remember, except I haven't read "Cardinal of the
Kremlin" yet, so either it was another book or it appeared in more than
one of his books.

The hard part of this scheme would be secure delivery of the cd's more
than the generation of the numbers, I think. Of course, you can decide
how secure you need to be and put an according amount of effort and
money into it. For doing it on the cheap, you could just use the "hidden
in plain sight" trick. Disguise them like music CD's and send then by
regular mail/FedEx/UPS/etc.

Anyone want to go into business? :-)