Subject: Re: System clock resolution and random numbers
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/01/1997 14:06:58
On Thu, 1 May 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Thu, 1 May 1997, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
>
> > I know: build a sheet of some material that conducts electricity when wet, but
> > only on the wet spot.
> >
> > Attach a system to detect the wet spots on the sheet. Generate random number
> > seed from the location and timing of the wet spots.
> >
> > Put sheet out in rain.
>
> Does that mean that those of us in the bay area don't get to have random
> numbers in the summer and the fall? :-)

No, you just need to collect all of those random numbers in a big random
number reservoir.  Of course there may be a need for random number
rationing during a drought.  And if we're not careful they may start
shipping all of our random numbers to LA.  8^)

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@btr.com
"Cliffs are for climbing.  That's why God invented grappling hooks."
					- Benton Frasier