Subject: Re: Kernel random number generator
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: mike smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
List: current-users
Date: 05/01/1997 11:58:57
Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> David Brownlee writes:
> >       The openbsd people have done some interesting things with putting
> >       random number generators into the kernel - using the
> >       unpredicability of kernbel events to provide a 'pool' of
> >       randomness.
>
> Actually, that work comes from Ted Tso's work for Linux. We've been
> examining it for a while and something will likely go in well before
> 1.3.

... and if the "serious problems" Jason has mentioned in the OBSD
implementation are also in the FreeBSD implementation, I suspect
that Mark Murray would appreciate a brief heads-up on that.

It should be stressed though that the 'kernel entropy pool'
concept has some significant shortcomings, most significantly
that there is only so much entropy to be had; it is quite feasible
to exhaust the available entropy simply by consuming it faster
than it is generated.

This presents some interesting problems 8)

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"