Subject: Re: GPS (Global Position System) for netbsd-currebt
To: None <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Brad Walker <bwalker@musings.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/26/1997 11:26:31
> From tsarna@endicor.com Sat Apr 26 08:42:19 1997
> Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 10:41:25 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
> To: current-users@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: GPS (Global Position System) for netbsd-currebt
>

> Seems to me a line discipline would be the way to do this.  As I
> understand it, the serial output format of most GPS receivers is pretty
> well standardized, too.  Then the line discipline could keep track of
> updates and a user process can simply open and read /dev/gps0 (gpsN) to
> get the current position.  A smarter driver could maybe even optionally
> implement some of the techniques for crunching the numbers to provide
> more accurate information.

Almost all GPS receivers have a serial output. Usually it's 8N1 - 9600
baud. The output format is going to be NEMA which is an industry standard.
You will need to program vendor specific code if you want to access things
like # of satellites currently being tracked and what not.

This is what my Garmin outputs and this is what I've seen coming out
of a Trimble..

> Now, even better would be a way to write to /dev/gps0 to _set_ your
> position...

Now that's a great idea.. 8-)

-brad w.