Subject: Re: GPS (Global Position System) for netbsd-currebt
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/26/1997 10:41:25
In article <199704261040.SAA12701@cssolar13.COMP.HKP.HK>,
c5666305 <c5666305@comp.polyu.edu.hk> wrote:
> Is there any software supporting the Global Positioning System (GPS) which
> receive the inforamtion from satellite and report to host (most likely
> NetBSD-current) .  From the information (for example, the location map of host)

Seems to me a line discipline would be the way to do this.  As I
understand it, the serial output format of most GPS receivers is pretty
well standardized, too.  Then the line discipline could keep track of
updates and a user process can simply open and read /dev/gps0 (gpsN) to
get the current position.  A smarter driver could maybe even optionally
implement some of the techniques for crunching the numbers to provide
more accurate information.

Now, even better would be a way to write to /dev/gps0 to _set_ your
position...