Subject: Re: tcp-wrappers, tcpd, and NetBSD
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1997 18:39:43
I am referring to ircd, which traditionally refuses to accept
connections unless identd exists *AND CLAIMS TO BE RUNNING UNIX*.

We are not Unix.  We have all the features I've ever seen in a Unix-like
OS, but NetBSD is not Unix.

For an external server to find out who I am when I'm running NetBSD, I
have to tell identd to claim to be Unix, which is a lie, or I have to
hope that it guesses that this particular "other" system is unix-like
enough to give out useful information in a format it could plausibly guess
at.

My other option is proprietary software, i.e., UNIX (tm).

-s