Subject: Re: Strange entries in wtmp
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/18/1997 10:12:26
> 	Hi,
>
> today I found entries like that in my "wtmp":
> date      {                         Fri Apr 18 10:03
> date      |                         Fri Apr 18 10:03
>
> Could they be caused by "rdate"? And if yes why?

from wtmp(5):

     date        The system time has been manually or automatically updated.
                 (See date(1).)  The command name date is recorded in the
                 field ut_name. In the field ut_line, the character `|' indi-
                 cates the time prior to the change, and the character `{' in-
                 dicates the new time.

for the longest time, rdate didn't generate those entries, but
recently I changed it to.  Not entering them is ... bogus, because it
leaves the administrator unable to track changes in system time.

cgd