Subject: netscape 3.01 gold domestic solaris...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Grey Wolf <greywolf@captech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/15/1997 21:35:43
Hi, all...

I'm having a helluva time getting netscrape domestic 3.01 gold for
slowlaris going on NetBSD.  I'd rather use it than use the one for
SunOS because the one for SunOS keeps hanging.  Doesn't wedge the
system but it must be forcibly killed and restarted.  Happens
after I reference the "Options" and make any modifications.

So I'm trying to run the Solaris version.  Solaris reports (line break
mine):

netscape:	ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically \
	linked, stripped

NetBSD 1.2.1 GENERIC reports:

netscape:	ELF 32-bit MSB executable, SPARC, version 1

And ldd sez:

ldd: netscape: not a dynamic executable

And running it produces:

netscape: Exec format error.  Wrong architecture.

And running ktrace on it produces:

netscape: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected.

So what's wrong with this picture?  Am I missing something here?

I'd _like_ to be able to run a reasonably stable version of Netscape
domestic (I need the 128-bit encryption; please don't ask why).

My only other alternative is to run it remotely from work and have
it (gag) display over ppp.  Not pleasant.

I have /emul/svr4 populated with solaris libs under .../usr/lib,
but I can't even be sure it's correct because ldd won't tell me
where it needs to find the libraries, nor can ktrace tell me where
it needs to look or what kind of emulation it's running.

...?pleH

				--*greywolf;