Subject: Re: Question about NIS/Kerberos (kind of off topic).
To: 'burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com' <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
From: Graham, James <James.Graham@Schwab.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 04/15/1997 16:25:37
Dave Burgess asks about NIS binding...

As far as I know, later ypbinds could be forced to bind to a server
or could have a list of servers to try explicitly.  I'm not sure what
the situation
is WRT NetBSD{-current,1.2.1(current--)}.

I do know that NIS has problems broadcasting across logical networks;
that you got your ypbind on a.b.23.x to talk to a ypserv on a.b.20.x is
a fluke of chance (in my experience).

The only other method of password maintenance of which I know is
rdist, and I don't think you _really_ want to do that.  It's more pain
than it's worth if you wish to preserve certain UIDs...

--*greywolf;
--
WE ARE MICROSOFT OF BORG.
OPENNESS IS FUTILE.  UNIX IS IRRELEVANT.