Subject: Re: Why is ifconfig.ae0 better than hostname.ae0?
To: eric richard haszlakiewicz <haszlaki@students.uiuc.edu>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/1997 11:51:10
> 	This seems like a fairly workable idea.  However, I think there is
> something to be said for separating the configuration into several files.
> For one it makes it a lot easier to manage it: you can see at a glance
> what you've got configured.  It seems to make sense, if not to keep the
> ifconfig.* files, to at least have a separate conf file for each script
> that is run.  i.e. rc.conf configures stuff for the rc script, rc.local.conf
> for rc.local, netstart.conf for netstart.  Makes it easy to see what
> goes with what.  This appears to be in place for several scripts already.
> (rc, rc.lkm, security, daily, monthly, etc...)

The beauty of shell scripts is that we can put in hooks for an
/etc/rc.conf and an /etc/netstart.conf and let the user choose whether
or not to use the /etc/netstart.conf.

As far as /etc/rc.local.conf goes, IMHO there shouldn't be an
/etc/rc.local in the distribution.  Now that we have rc.conf, we ought
to be able to move everything into /etc/rc and let rc.local be, well,
local.

			       _MelloN_