Subject: Re: Why is ifconfig.ae0 better than hostname.ae0?
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/1997 10:41:35
Ted Lemon writes:
> > Add aliases and I'd be happy.  I'd rather not see this functionality
> > added to the rc.conf file.  It is 'C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI' enough that
> > anyone can use it.  Adding additional complexity would only muddy a
> > clean, simple interface.
>
> I'm not sure I understand.   What's the complication in adding the
> ability to set the default route, hostname, and the like?   To me this
> seems pretty simple and pretty useful - I'd very much like it if as
> much information as possible about the system configuration were in a
> single place.

I'm actually *not* a giant fan of it. It tends to be hard to write
autoconfiguration utilities to use such formats -- small files are
easier to edit than large ones filled with comments. (No, it isn't
impossible, just more difficult).

However, that isn't a reason not to permit people to configure their
machines this way if they choose, which was what was proposed.

Perry