Subject: Re: where is the booting file for snap-970324
To: c5666305 <c5666305@comp.polyu.edu.hk>
From: John C. Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/1997 07:22:55
On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, c5666305 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently download the snap-970324 from ftp.netbsd.org.  However I could not
> find the booting file (like kcadpXX.fs) under snap-970324.  Can anyone tell me
> where is it ?  Can I use NetBSD-1.2.1 booting file, kcadp121.fs or not?  Thanks.
>
> Clarence CHAN

The boot file is inst12d.fs.  It has a new bootstrap and loads into a
memory file system and populates the file system with one disk (thanks!!).
It does not (?) seem to have a kernel which is configured for hd boot up
so you want to grab kern12d.tar.gz as well.  The bootstrap gives you an
option for specifing the boot device.

My only problem was that if the disk was not labeled it indicated you
would need to run disklabel after makeing the file systems.  However once
I did that it seemed that the bootstrap from the hard disk was removed.
Re-installing after the label was written seemed to work fine.  Note: this
was on an ide drive so it may be different for scsi.

johnh...