Subject: Re: chflags wierdness
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/1997 12:56:43
Kevin P. Neal wrote:
> At 11:35 AM 4/13/97 -0700, Ted Lemon wrote:
> >
> >> Besides, if a user chooses to use extended protection measures such
> >> as chflags(1), he _should_ know about ls(1)'s "-o" option.  :-)
> >
> >What if the user didn't set the flag?  The first time I got an EPERM
> >trying to modify a chflagged file, it took be a while to figure out
> >what was going on, and I already *knew* about flags.  A random user
> >isn't going to know.  I'm not sure how to solve this problem - rm
> >isn't the only program that could trip over this - but it definitely
> >is a problem, and blaming the user isn't going to solve it.
>
> How about a "file flags" manpage of some sort, with rm's manpage pointing to
> it (see also...)?
>
> Or maybe just make a larger note about it in the chflags(1) page, and have
> rm's manpage point at that one?

It would be goodie idea. Call me ignorant, but first time I figured
out how to make file immutable was w/ question on chflags ;-| man
-k immutable didn't get anything, there isn't any mention in stat(2)
no in chmod(2) or any ch* command. Would be nice if they point to
chflags too.

Jarda

--
Jaromir Dolecek             	ICS MU, Botanicka 68A, Brno, 60200, Czech Rep.
dolecek@ics.muni.cz			Tel.: +42-5-4151 2266